I am a voracious reader – averaging a book a week for several years now. I am often asked for recommendations, so I am sharing my TOP 10 picks for your summer genius reading list. Of note – don’t expect any romance novels, friends. You will only find books related to high performance living and life mastery here! Oh, and as an added bonus, I’m throwing in a couple of fun movie recommendations too!!
- Head Strong by Dave Asprey- The Bulletproof plan to activate untapped brain energy to work smarter and think faster – in just two weeks! Asprey, who brought us Bulletproof Coffee and is a New York Times bestselling author of The Bulletproof Diet provides the science and strategies for simple brain hacks that will literally upgrade your performance and your life
2. Originals – How Non-Conformists Move the World by Adam Grant – Grant addresses the challenge of improving the world, but from the perspective of becoming original: choosing to champion novel ideas and values that go against the grain, battle conformity, and buck outdated traditions. How can we originate new ideas, policies, and practices without risking it all?
3. You are a badass – How to Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Start Living an Awesome Life by Jen Sincero – “The self-help book for people who desperately want to improve their lives but don’t want to get busted doing it.”
4. Tools of Titans – The Tactics, Routines, and Habits of Billionaires, Icons, and World-Class Performers by Tim Ferriss – The title really speaks for itself. Ferris shares the common habits and rituals of these world-class high achievers and performers. It’s a hefty read, so take notes and “skip liberally” to the sections that grab your attention.
5. The Gifts of Imperfection – Let Go of Who You Think You’re Supposed to Be and Embrace Who You Are by Brené Brown – I truly admire Brown’s writing and her work on vulnerability, courage, worthiness, and shame. This is a quick read that is all about the power of “Wholehearted living.”
6. The Nature Fix – Why Nature Makes Us Happier, Healthier, and More Creative by Florence Williams – Two words: Forest healing. Enough said.
7. The Miracle of a Definite Chief Aim by Mitch Horowitz – If you are a Napoleon Hill fan, you will appreciate this read on how our thoughts effect our experiences.
8. Love 2.0: Creating Happiness and Health in Moments of Connection by Barbara L Fredrickson – Fredrickson talks about how love can be strengthened and measured in ways that can improve our health and longevity. She even talks about one of my favorite subjects, mindfulness and specifically the Loving Kindness Meditation (LKM).
9. Stealing Fire: How Silicon Valley, the Navy SEALs, and Maverick Scientists Are Revolutionizing the Way We Live and Work by Steven Kotler & Jamie Wheal – A guidebook for anyone looking to uplevel their life. Looks at one of my favorite concepts – FLOW and personal development.
10. NeuroWisdom: The New Brain Science of Money, Happiness, and Success by Mark Robert Waldman and Chris Manning – A good read if you’re looking to increase motivation, creativity and optimism!
And I’d be remiss if I didn’t include one extra recommendation:
Think, Eat, Move, Thrive – The Practice for an Awesome Life – coauthored along with my lovely wife, Dr. Debra Rouse.
A Dog’s Purpose – For dog lovers, obviously.
The Shack – Powerful and spiritually moving.
St. Vincent – Inappropriate at times but fun and moving.