For some folks this may be an uncomfortable subject, for others it’s no big deal – you’ve been doing it for as long as you can remember. We’re talking about sleeping naked. A global sleep survey revealed that approximately 33% of Brits sleep naked, while only about 8% of Americans sleep in the buff. Could this be contributing to the fact that over 25% of Americans report not getting enough sleep? Quite possibly, but here are Five benefits to sleeping naked:
- When we sleep naked we help to slow down the aging process. Naked sleeping helps maintain optimum melatonin and growth hormone levels.
- Sleeping in the nude encourages the release of oxytocin. Higher levels of oxytocin increase happiness and love. This is particularly effective when you are sleeping next to another naked person. It’s all about skin to skin contact. And what this does is help reduce inflammation, reduce cortisol, reduce blood pressure and offset stress and anxiety.
- When we sleep naked we decrease our levels of the stress hormone, cortisol. When cortisol levels are down we actually improve our body composition as well. When you sleep naked, it helps keep your body temperature at the optimal ranges so your body can maintain healthier cortisol levels and not overheat. If you tend to overheat in your sleep, that may indicate that cortisol levels are high, and they will tend to remain high when you wake up. This can lead to increased anxiety, weight gain, and sugar cravings.
- Naked sleepers sleep better than non-naked sleepers. Temperature regulation, in particular, the ability of the body to cool down, is essential for sound sleep.
- Naked sleeping encourages radiant skin. Pajamas are over-rated when it comes to letting our skin really breathe. This may be especially helpful for those with back acne.
There’s no need to fear getting cold. Studies show that sleeping with heavier blankets can actually help lower levels of anxiety and improve the quality of our sleep. And, the body sleeps deeper at lower temperatures, between about 60 and 67 degrees Fahrenheit. So get over your shyness and slip into your birthday suit. The only thing you may be risking is an awesome night’s sleep.